Bangkok’s outskirt attractions that might interest you are Rod Fai Night Market, Rama 9 Park, Wat Dhamma Mongkol, Wat Bang Na Nai, Wat Bang Na Nok, Khlong Prawet Burirom, Ban Jiaranai Ploy, Wat Lad Bua Khao, Bangkok Sculpture Center and Seri Thai Park.
Rod Fai Night Market
Originated in the vicinity of Chatuchak Weekend Market, but after the State Railway of Thailand claimed the area, the vendors then moved to the current location. Rod Fai Night Market is popular, especially among young customers, for trendy clothes, accessories, home furniture, vehicle spares and various antiques with reasonable price.
It was partitioned into two zones: the permanent building zone and the walking street market zone. Among the relaxing atmosphere, Rod Fai Night Market also featured many tasty food shops, remarkably, the vintage style restaurants and bars which are famous among those like-minded. However, the market might soon move back to its former location, good news for JJ (Chatuchak) regulars. The market is behind the Seacon Square, Srinagarindar Rd.
Rama 9 Park (Suan Luang Rama 9)
It is both the biggest park and botanical garden in Bangkok. Rama 9 Park was built in 1987 for The 60th Birthday Anniversary of H.M. King Bhumibol, the 9th King. It is divided into several parts such as celebration zone including Ratchadapisek dorm and Suan Maharatch, botanical garden, Suan Rommanee, water park, Rat field, multi-purpose courtyard which has a spacious area and stage for many activities and desert plant building.
Rama 9 Park Foundation and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration holds a beautiful plant fair in Rama 9 Park on 1-10 December every year. The park is between Soi Seri Villa Village Project 2 and Chalermprakiat Rama 9 Rd. (Udom Suk).
Wat Dhamma Mongkol
Photo credit: dhammamongkol.com
Established in 1963 by Phra Thamma Mongkol Yana, Wat Dhamma Mongkol is the temple with the highest chedi population in Thailand. Inside, apart from the tranquility of the place, there is the instructive course on the meditation method in the tradition of Ajarn Mun Bhuri- datta, the Kammatthana room, the study room, the old Buddha images, the information about Phra Khanong Community and at the top is placed the Sarira brought from Bangladesh.
Furthermore, Wat Dhamma Mongkok houses the Phra Buddha Mongkol Thamma Si Thai, the largest emerald Buddha in the world, in the glass dome building. In the rear, the the cave for meditative purposes for visitors who are interested.
Wat Bang Na Nai
Photo credit: bloggang .com
Wat Bang Na Nai was built in 1890 and was given as a royal temple in 1996. The temple is located near Khlong Bang Na, so it was named Wat Bang Na Nai. There is another temple located nearby called Wat Bang Na Nok. There is pagoda of the 72nd Birthday Anniversary of His Majesty the 9th King that keeps Buddha’s relics from eight countries.
Buddha’s relic in Thailand was given by Somdet Phra Yannasangworn Somdet Phra Sangaratch Sakon Mahasangaparinayok (Buddhist supreme patriarch of the Buddhist priests). There is also a mural painting about the ten lives of Jataka stories inside the chapel of Wat Bang Na Nai.
Wat Bang Na Nok
Photo credit: santichai16.blogspot. com
The former name is ‘Wat Pak Khlong Bang Na‘ built in 1857 without the name nor the history of the builder. After that the villagers called it Wat Bang Na Nok because it is near Wat Bang Na Nai.
For this temple, there is an old church with a hundred year old principle Buddha image, Bussabok pulpit, throne with four posts carved as a beautiful spire dome in the early Rattanakosin period, a celebration pavilion where the standing statue of Buddha was placed with Sadungmara attitude, Phra Hin Khaw is the statue of Buddha with enlightenment attitude made of white jade from Myanmar and Mon art swan, placed at the top of pillar but it is only one now.
Khlong Prawet Burirom
In the fifth reign, the King gave money to dig a canal from Khlong Phra Kha Nong to connect with Khlong Dan and to flow to Bang Pakong River, Chachoengsao. Chao Phraya Surawong is an overseer. People also donated because they would be given rights to own the land near the canal. The canal was dug from 1878 and finished in 1880, 46 kilometers in length.
Nowadays the canal is still fresh, so people can use for farming as well. Furthermore, we can see the combination of different religions for a hundred years. The Office of the Prawet District also arranges a trip for travel along Khlong Prawet for people who love to see the canal way of life. The route starts at the Khlong Ton Pier to a pier under the bridge across Khlong Prawet Burirom and Thanon Srinakarin.
The khlong is connected to the east of Khlong Phra Khanong through Prawet District and Ladkrabang District, then joins Bang Pakong River at Chachoengsao Province.
Ban Jiaranai Ploy (Gemstones Cutting Group House)
The people in the Tang Kwai Mosque are skilled craftsmen of cutting and designing gemstones. Headed by Mr. Suchet Popat they established ‘the Small and Micro Community Enterprise Gemstones Cutting Group in 2001 in order to improve their skills, teach cutting gemstones and sell their products.
The well-known product is ‘Ploy Ruang’ or small gemstones. The Gemstones Cutting Group is recognized in Thailand and other countries around the world. Their products are OTOP of Prawet District and are exported to Europe, Asia, USA, and Australia. The center is on On Nut Rd. Soi 59.
Wat Lad Bua Khao
Or ‘Wat Ratcha Yotha’, is an old temple built in 1872 by Phraya Ratchayotha (Nium Singhasenee) and Phraya Surainratchasena (Pueng Singhasenee). After that Phraya Ratchayotha invited Luang Phu Thong (Thong Ayana), a famous monk from Wat Bang Ngen Prom, Taling Chan District to be the first abbot. The temple’s name came from the location of the temple that is near a marsh full of white lotus.
However, villagers often called it Wat cha Yotha. The important ancient remains are church bound with cement, rectangle diagram with seven room two layers of triangle roof, reduced-floor veranda back and forth, two pillars for each part and baked-clay roof.
Bangkok Sculpture Center
The Bangkok Sculpture Center is a non-profit private organization. It is owned and managed by Sermkhun Kunawong. It is a modern building with four thousand square metres for maintaining and displaying Thai sculpture from the classic period.
There are two hundred pieces of art work from Buddhist art period in the 16th century to the contemporary period. It is divided into categories including statues of Buddha, Realistic Age, Thai Modern Art Age, and Abstract Golden Age.
The centre also displays unique mixed media work of famous artists such as Khien Yimsiri, Thawan Duchanee, Chalermchai Kositpipat, Chakrabhand Posayakrit, etc. The temple is located on Rama Rd.
Seri Thai Garden (Suan Nam Bueng Kum)
With the intelligence and mercy of the ninth reign, he had the idea to renovate Bueng Kum or Bueng Ta Thong from an abandoned marsh to be a water reservation area in order to resolve the flood problem. Suan Seri Thai is both a water reservation area and a big park in Bangkok. It is named after Seri Thai (Free Thai Movement) for the Fifty Second anniversary of the end of WWIl.
In Suan Seri Thai, there is waterside pavilion growing ten types of palm plants from Thailand and other countries such as Suan Thawisuk, Suan Romsai, Suan Charoenkarn, flower garden and fruit garden. There are three school gathered with Thai trees for learning. People oftuan Seri Thai to take a rest and exercise in the evening and on weekends. The park is located on Seri Thai Rd on Soi 57.
Hirring a Bangkok private tour guide? Click this buttom for more info